The 2018 Business of the Year Award goes to Nuu-chah-nulth Seafood Limited Partnership.
The Nuu-chah-nulth Seafood LP (NSLP) is a First Nation owned seafood enterprise that operates on Vancouver Island’s pristine West Coast. Nuu-chah-nulth Seafood offers planning and management support to our Nations and their community members in various aspects of fisheries and aquaculture.Their office is in Port Alberni.
The limited partnership was established in 2012. However, it was originally Nuuchahnulth Shellfish Corporation (2002) which eventually evolved after PICFI came into effect to include all seafood (2008-09). The Limited Partnership is between 6 Nations: Ditidaht First Nation, Huu-ay-aht First Nations, Ka:’yu:’k’t’h’/Che:k’tles7et’h’ First Nations, Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nation, Uchucklesaht Tribe Government, & Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ First Nation Government.
Some of the activities of the NSLP include:
- Managing commercial licenses and quotas;
- Own Fishing boat(s);
- are a Non-profit society offering training, research and education;
- NCN LP Provides shareholders marine safety training. 333 certificates have been obtained since inception;
- They are Majority shareholder in St. Jean’s Cannery and Smokehouse (2015). NCN have had a relationship with Armand St. Jean as he dealt with a lot of fisherman in our communities so it was a good fit to keep that relationship with the company;
- Currently developing new brand “Gratitude Seafood”
- They are setting up a succession plan and setting up the right people to continue to carry the project successfully.
NuuchahnulthSeafood LP has many points of excellence that have contributed to their overall success:
- Keeping Politics out of Business
- Having a Professional Board of Directors specializing in First Nations relations, communications, commercial fisheries, fisheries policy and management, business operations, licensing, fish buying and processing, fishery development, studies, plans, fish management, corporate and commercial law, governance, finance, mergers and acquisitions.
- Working towards a 5 year Strategic Plan
- A great Governance Structure and Business Model
- do everything they can to Help support Nations and fisherman, even with purchases and online forms.
- NCN Seafood LP was Winner of BC Aboriginal Award –2018 Business Partnership of the Year
- Their Retained Earnings Strategy helped them purchase office building, St.Jeans Cannery and a smokehouse.
- They Live by 3 sacred priorities:
- Hishuk’ish Tsawalk – Everything is One
- Iisaak – greater respect with caring
- Uuathluk – Taking care with a modern approach
In the future, NCN Seafood Limited Partnership would like to implement Gratitude Seafood Brand & when asked more about this project the president Larry Johnson says “Stay Tuned!”
Once again congratulations to This Year’s Business of the Year Award – Nuu-chah-nulth Seafood Limited Partnership.Share