Who is eligible for nominations?
- Businesses owned by Nuu-chah-nulth Member(s)
- All Aboriginal businesses within the Nuu-chah-nulth (NCN) territory
- NEDC clients
Why nominate/participate in a NEDC Aboriginal Business Award?
In business, it is important to focus on ways to set your business apart from the rest. The role of Aboriginal business in our economy needs to be profiled and celebrated. Winning a NEDC Aboriginal Business Award can benefit your business’ internal and external operations in the following ways:
- Cash Prizes!
- 1 Night Stay at Tigh-na-mara Resort and travel support to Parksville, BC
- Recipients are honored at an awards ceremony.
- Being recognized will position your business, small or large, as a leader to current and potential customers, as well as to your employees and the community at large.
- A great morale booster for employees, providing opportunity for their efforts to be formally recognized.
About the Awards
The NEDC Aboriginal Business Awards celebrate the accomplishments of the Nuu-chah-nulth businesses, NEDC clients and Aboriginal businesses within the Nuu-chah-nulth region.
This year, these awards will honor businesses in FIVE categories. A committee will review the nominations and select the recipients in accordance with the awards’ criteria. The awards will be presented at an awards ceremony celebrating aspiring entrepreneurs and Aboriginal business in our region.
Whether you are a small business owner or a sole proprietor running a business out of your home, managing a large staff of a community-owned enterprise, or you are growing a business from the ground up as an entrepreneur, these awards will recognize and celebrate your achievements.
The award categories allow for the unique strengths and diversity within the business community and recognize motivation, focus and achievable goals. The NEDC Aboriginal Business Award recipients will serve as an example of excellence and inspiration while showcasing best practices to be shared amongst all business people, whether they are those already involved in business or those considering a business career.
BEST Youth-OWNED Business
This award is to acknowledge successful businesses that are majority-owned and operated by an individual under the age of 36. Judging Criteria: Financial Viability, Management, Marketing, Customer Service, Innovation, Business Exposure, Years of Operation
Best NEW Business
This award is to acknowledge businesses in operation less than 4 years. Judging Criteria: Financial Viability, Management, Marketing, Customer Service, Innovation, Business Exposure, Years of Operation
Best Service/Retail Business
This award is to acknowledge businesses that provides exceptional services or products to their clients. Judging Criteria: Financial Viability, Management, Marketing, Customer Service, Innovation, Business Exposure, Years of Operation
Best ARTS & Cultural Business
This award is to acknowledge businesses who incorporate Nuu-chah-nulth Art and/or Culture into products/services. Judging Criteria: Financial Viability, Quality of Work, Business Exposure, Innovation, Integration/Promotion of Arts and/or Culture, Years of Operation
Best Environmental Business
This award acknowledges businesses demonstrating a commitment to protecting, respecting & celebrating the environment. Judging Criteria: Financial Viability, Environmentally Friendly, Connection to Nature, Marketing, Customer Service, Innovation, Business Exposure, Years of Operation
Business of the Year
This award acknowledges businesses demonstrating outstanding success. Judging Criteria: Financial Viability, Management, Marketing, Customer Service, Innovation, Business Exposure, Community Involvement, Years of Operation
The Nomination Form Contains two (2) Parts:
1. About the Nominator (Who’s filling out this form?)
– Nominator Name
– Nominator Phone
– Nominator Email
– Eligibility of the Business you are nominating
2. About the Business Nominated (What business are your recommending for an award?)
– Business Nominated Name
– Pick a Category
– Contact Person for Business – Name
– Contact Information for Business (phone and/or email)
– Please provide a description of the nominated business. What do they do? What makes them stand out?
– Why do you think the nominee is deserving of this award?
– Date Business Began (Year & Month)
– Additional Contact Information for business (optional)
Nomination Process at a Glance
How to Prepare Your Entry:
Carefully review the judging criteria and any additional submission requirements for each category. Please include the following items to complete your entry submission:
- Complete a separate Nomination Form (online form) for each entry.
- Submit any supporting material to firstname.lastname@example.org (optional).
- A profile of the project (Max. 3 pages, double-spaced)
- Any appendices including charts, graphs and photographs.
- Clearly label all pages and items in your entry with the name of the nominee.
How can I make my nomination stronger? (optional)
Along with the nomination form, send along with the following:
- A two-part business statement including the nature and overview of your business.
- Two reference letters from individuals who can describe the impact and value of your business
- Supporting documents – up to five additional pages of further testimonials, financial statements, media coverage, etc.
Email optional supporting documents to email@example.com or deliver to the NEDC office in Port Alberni
2022 Business Awards Winners
2018 Business Awards Winners
Best Service/Retail Business
Taras & Lorena Atleo, Promontory Hummingbird Child Care Centre
2017 Business Awards Winners
Outstanding Business Achievement
Kaa-in Services Inc.
2016 Award Winners
Business of the Year:
Totem Tree Services
(Dave Potter, Tzeachten FN)
250-730-7770 (Port Alberni, BC)
Best New Business:
COBS BREAD Suter Brook
(Melissa Holt, Tseshaht FN)
604-461-2716 (Port Moody, BC)
Best Youth – Owned Business:
Shae Doiron Painting & Decorating
(Shae Doiron, Tseshaht FN)
250-735-1983 (Port Alberni, BC)
Best Environmental & Sustainable Business:
Mason Bee Central (Gordon Cyr – Metis Nation)
Best Arts & Cultural Business:
First Nation Photographer (Melody Charlie – Yuułu?ił?atḥ First Nation)
250-266-2507 (Ucluelet, BC)
Outstanding Business Achievement:
Taa-Wa Fish Company Ltd. (Patrick Charleson Sr. – Hesquiaht First Nation)
Congratulations to the 2016 Award Winners.
We wish you continued success!!
NEDC BOARD & STAFF